Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Firing Down the Home-Stretch

Geez….we’re about done. The final week has begun. Playoff teams already set. All that’s left is to battle out the playoff matchups. It sure doesn’t feel like it’s been a month…it seems like it’s been three. I’ve had my fill of baseball, for better or worse. I won’t need to tune in again until the Cubbies get started in April. I’m going to head to Laughlin and crawl into a hole, waiting for a job for the summer to materialize.

We’ve all had a lot of fun though. Being stationed down in San Luis has been an experience. The concession stand there has the greatest Salsa Verde Tostitos I’ve ever tasted. You can only purchase them in Mexico apparently. I’m brokering the price on a case from the concessionaires. Otherwise, seeing the border fence beyond the outfield fence is a good reminder of where we are. A little diamond in the furthest Southwest corner of Arizona.

We didn’t attract overwhelming crowds while down here, but the field is maintained just as nice as the complex in Yuma, and true to our word, we delivered some exciting professional baseball. As official scorer, I’ve got to stay objective, but as I’ve seen every pitch thrown in San Luis, the Atleticos are my favorite to watch for the balance they have up and down the lineup.

I’ve meant to write a lot more on this blog, as I’ve said numerous times. I began the blog thinking that I might not be taught, or might be splitting the virtual-ink with someone else on the main website. Alas, I’ve been solely in charge of both, and I hope you’ve followed along on the main page. Nothing too heavy, but game reports everyday and that amazing, Pulitizer-worthy press release regarding the new seats at Desert Sun. I want to thank Mr. Sangiolo (that's his picture of his son above) and a couple other parents for sending me pictures to thumbnail on top of the stories.

As I sit right now, the sun is setting out beyond the left-field wall, across both Arizona and the Sonoran state of Mexico. Not too bad of a spot to work at. It’s finally gotten to be in the 80’s temperature wise, which makes our evenings at the ballpark much more enjoyable. No more cold February evening breezes. It amazes me to see Yumans still wearing jeans, explaining…”it ain’t hot yet”.

No comments:

Post a Comment